Saturday, March 23, 2024
Saturday, October 26, 2024
Navigation is a MUST for adventure racers who want to excel at the sport. It doesn't matter how fit or strong you are if you are moving in the wrong direction! If you do not know how to use a map and compass, trust us, you will not stay on course.
You are most likely spending a great deal of time, energy and commitment in your training just to get to the starting line. Make sure you have also committed to upgrading your navigation game so all your hard work can be seen.
The Odyssey Land Navigation Clinic is an information-packed day of compass, topographical map study and orienteering in Roanoke. We'll spend the first part of the day (5-6 hours) with classroom instruction. This is a great time to get to know one another, ask questions, and learn the foundational principles of top level navigation. The next 6 hours we'll get out into the beautiful woods and spend 6-8 miles on foot at a slow learning pace, mostly off trail through thick brush, open forest and steep hillsides.
You will learn what the best adventure racers know and how to work together with a team to navigate successfully.
“I just completed the Odyssey Land Navigation clinic and it was an awesome experience. Ronny not only teaches you how to navigate but also gives you a million adventure race tips from real life experiences. I am a land navigation instructor in the military and still took away quite a few tips that I will be giving to my future students. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in this sport or navigation.” Nicanor
Although this clinic is excellent for all outdoor enthusiasts - mountain bikers, hikers, backpackers, and general adventurers who want the confidence and skill to explore their limits in nature - it is uniquely designed for the adventure racer.
If you are an Adventure Racer, this is the next step in taking your race results to the next level!
“Just wanted to let you know that we did an 8 hour race this weekend and after attending your navigation clinic, the navigation section of the course was much easier. After orienting map north actually found every checkpoint without using compass again but read the terrain and went to every point just using the map. Your clinic helped me so much even I was surprised and my teammates too! Once again thanks for your clinic as my navigation skills have improved tremendously!!!!!” Keith
The Odyssey Land Navigation Clinic will:
- Explain different types of maps
- Explain different types of map scales
- Teach how to use all the information on a topographical map
- Identify land features on a map
- Teach how to identify land features in the field
- Teach how to use a compass and its different features
- How to set up and use a GPS device with a map
- Show an easy way to understand and use declination
- Teach how to measure and plot a bearing on the map
- Teach how to take and follow a bearing in the field
- Teach how to plot UTMs (Universal Transverse Mercator)
- Teach how to make and use a plotting tool for a map of any scale
- Show what tools are needed to plot successfully
- Teach route finding skills
- Teach how to use land features to your advantage during the day and night
- Show how to estimate pace count and when to use it
- Teach how to transition from one map to other and keep all the information flowing
- Teach how to work with a team to navigate successfully
Class size maximum of 8.
"The Land Nav Clinic this past weekend was a treasure trove of tips and tricks which will be invaluable during the One Day AR this summer. Having spent some time in the infantry I felt I had a grasp on the technical side of navigation. The “insider’s look” you gave us on AR style navigating combined with your constant presence and subtle guidance in the field has opened my eyes to the artistic side. Contour lines, re-entries, and turning off your lights to better find your way in the dark all have new meanings which will not soon be forgotten. In short, the cost of the clinic is well worth the knowledge and experience gained. I cannot say it enough… Thanks for a job done well and sincerely!” Jason
March 23, 2024
October 26, 2024
If you are unable to attend, we do offer one on one navigation training or have a group of 4 or more people contact us and we can arrange training for your group.
7:00 am - 2:00 pm - Land Navigation Clinic starts (there will be a 10 min break every hour). This will be the classroom part of the clinic.
12:00-12:45 - Lunch (bring your own)
2:00 pm - 10:00 pm - Land Day/Night Navigation (finding points in the woods)
4523 Brambleton Ave
Roanoke, VA 24018
Salem, VA hotels and motels
$250 per person
The clinic will be held both inside and outside, rain or shine, plan and dress accordingly. Come prepared with food and water for the field work.
- Compass with adjustable declination
- GPS device (optional)
- Waterproof map case
- Pen and pencil
- Highlighter pens or Neon Sharpies (works best on waterproof paper or maps)
- Hydration system (50-70 oz bladder- Camelback) or (2-20 oz water bottles)
- A pack (to carry hydration system and gear)
- Long pants
- Long-sleeve shirt
- Lightweight jacket
- Running shoes or boots
- Food for the field work
Thank you for your interest in the Odyssey Land Navigation Clinic presented by Next Level Fitness and Healing. Ronny Angell will be the instructor for this event. The cost is $250/person + processing fee.
A minimum of 4 people will be required to hold the clinic. No refunds will be allowed unless clinic is canceled. Payments can be rolled over to other navigation clinics, if clinic is canceled.
Maximum of 8 people.