Advanced Land Navigation
Saturday, December 10, 2016
The Odyssey Advanced Land Navigation Clinic will be an information-packed day of compass, topographical map study and orienteering in Roanoke. This will be a fun day consisting of minimum classroom study with more emphasis on day and night field work. You will learn from knowledgeable instructors with years of adventure racing, hiking and backcountry experience. You will learn techniques that are proven to work and more importantly how to work together with a team to navigate successfully.
There will be 3 hours of classroom instruction and 7-9 hours of field work finding plotted points using the skills you have learned. We will cover between 8-10 miles, on foot at a slow and learning pace, mostly off trail through thick brush, open forest and steep hillsides.
The Odyssey Advanced Navigation Clinic will explain:
- Techniques to use to know where you are on your map at all times
- What to do if you have lost contact with your map
- Teach how to transition from one map to another and keep all the information flowing
- How to use terrain features, compass, and altimeter to figure out your location
- Advanced route selection techniques
- When to use pace count versus time verses terrain features or all at the same time
- Teach how to use land features to your advantage during the day and night
- Nighttime navigation techniques
- How and when to use intentional offset, triangulation
It is HIGHLY recommended that you have completed an Odyssey Land Navigation Clinic,Odyssey Adventure Racing Academy, or some other navigation course before registering for this clinic. You will need to know and have practiced the following skills. We will spend little if any time the teaching the skills below:
- Know the different types of maps
- Know different types of map scales
- Know how to use all the information on a topographical map
- Identify land features on a map
- Know how to identify land features in the field
- Know how to use a compass and its different features
- Understand and use declination
- Know how to measure and plot a bearing on the map
- Know how to take and follow a bearing in the field
- Know how to plot UTMs (Universal Transverse Mercator)
- Know how to make and use a plotting tool for a map of any scale
Saturday, December 10, 2016
1919 Electric Road
Roanoke, VA 24018
Trek 8 -10 miles
Field Work with instructor
Registration closes a week before the event date.
10:00 am - Check in and paper work
10:15 - 1:00 - Land Navigation Clinic starts. This will be the classroom part of the clinic.
1:00 - 10:00 - Land Day Navigation (finding points in the woods) - 3-4 hrs Day/4-5 hrs Night
From Exit 141 of Interstate 81, exit south on Route 419 (Electric Road) and turn left at the second traffic light, which is East Main Street (Route 460).
Come east on Main Street just two blocks past the Electric Road intersection, and turn left on Hillmont Drive to the main parking lot. Pass through to two visitor parking lots. We will be in the room that you will be able to see as you turn into the parking lot.
Salem, VA hotels and motels
The clinic will be held both inside and outside, rain or shine. Plan and dress accordingly.
- Compass with adjustable declination (Sunnto M-3)
- Map case
- Pen and pencil
- Highlighter pens
- Colored pencils (optional)
- Hydration system (50-70 oz bladder- Camelback) or (2-20 oz water bottles)
- A pack (to carry hydration system and gear)
- Long pants
- Long-sleeve shirt
- Lightweight jacket
- Running shoes or boots
- Food for the field work
Thank you for your interest in the Odyssey Advanced Navigation Clinic presented by Next Level Coaching and Fitness. Ronny Angell will be the instructor for this event. The cost is $200/person.
A minimum of 4 people will be required to hold the clinic. No refunds will be allowed unless clinic is canceled. Payments can be rolled over to another navigation clinic if this clinic is canceled.
The second option is with a credit card through Pay Pal. Click the “Buy Now” button to pay online. There will be a processing charge of $7.00. Note the date of the clinic.
* No Odyssey Discounts or Credits can be used with this event.